Last updated: March 13, 2010 - 12:53pm
Karen Peltz Strauss has been named Deputy Chief of the Federal Communications Commission's Consumer and Governmental Affairs Bureau. She will focus on disability issues, among other things, and will help the Commission to implement the components of the National Broadband Plan that address access for people with disabilities, including leading the effort to develop a proposed Accessibility and Innovation Forum.
Strauss has over 25 years experience working on telecommunications access for people with disabilities. She is a co-founder of the Coalition of Organizations for Accessible Technology, or COAT, a coalition of over 290 national and regional organizations dedicated to ensuring disability access to emerging Internet-based and digital communications technologies in the 21st century.
Strauss most recently provided consulting services to non-profit consumer groups, educational research institutes, and relay service providers. Previously, she served as legal counsel for Gallaudet University's National Center for Law and Deafness, and the National Association of the Deaf. Prior to that, she served as Deputy Bureau Chief of the former Consumer Information Bureau at the FCC. In that capacity, she helped initiate its first Disability Rights Office and managed the Commission's consumer and disability access programs and policies. Ms. Strauss holds a JD from the University of Pennsylvania Law School and an LLM from the Georgetown University Law Center.
- White House Anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act
- FCC To Ramp Up Closed Captioning Enforcement
- CGB and WTB Release Advanced Services Accessibility Public Notice
- Help the FCC Launch the Accessibility and Innovation Forum
- National Broadband Plan Workshop (Broadband Accessibility for People with Disabilities II)
- National Broadband Plan Field Hearing on Disabilities
- Hlibok to Head FCC's Disability Rights Office
- FCC's Consumer Advisory Committee (updated with agenda)
- E-911 Disability Access Summit
- Pam Gregory and Jamal Mazrui to Lead Accessibility and Innovation Initiative
- FCC Commissioner Copps Receives Karen Peltz-Strauss Public Policy Award
- National Broadband Plan Workshop on Opportunities for Individuals with Disabilities (see summary)
- VRS Reform Workshop
- FCC's Consumer Advisory Committee (updated w/agenda)
- Consumer Advisory Committee (Nov 2012)