Originally published: November 1, 2011
Last updated: December 20, 2011 - 3:25pm
[Commentary] On October 20, 30 days after the launch of the We The People Website and the last day before the first petitions started to be removed from the White House website, there were 208 posted petitions. On October 26, 2011, the number of posted petitions was 161 (by October 28 it had dropped to 125, of which only 76 had reached the 150 signature threshold in the last 30 days). Although most of the 161 double count those in the 208 tally, this suggests that well under 4 percent of the submitted petitions have reached the 150 signature threshold necessary to be publicly posted on the White House website. Why is this? One important factor is that it is far harder than most people suppose to get to the 150 signatures. Surprisingly, given the way the White House set up the registration, getting 150 print signatures is vastly easier than getting 150 electronic ones. My guess is that petition creators, in order to yield 150 actual signatures, need about 600 people willing to both click on the URL to sign the petition and then click on the register button. Given all the unannounced and unexplained downtime for the White House petition website, the ratio may exceed 1,000:150 for those unlucky petition creators who send out their publicity when the White House website is down.
- The White House's We The People Petition Website: First Year Report Card
- We The People Petitioners Typically Wait Three Months for a Reply
- What Is the Democratic Function of the White House's We The People Petition Website?
- The White House's New We the People Petition Website
- White House Drops First Names From We The People Petitions
- Fewer online petitions posted to We the People website
- White House to petitioners: We ARE listening
- White House issues first online petition response
- One-third of We the People petitions are Six Months Old
- White House defends We the People petition responses
- We the People draws a curious crowd
- When The People Speak Is Anyone Listening?
- Why We’re Raising the Signature Threshold for We the People
- White House Announces We the People
- White House 'We the People' Site, Explained