Last updated: March 26, 2008 - 9:41pm
MEMBERS OF CONGRESS RESPOND TO XM-SIRIUS DECISION
1) Sen Herb Kohl (D-WI), the chairman of the Senate Antitrust Subcommittee, told the Federal Communications Commission it should not allow XM Satellite Radio and Sirius Satellite Radio to merge, saying that it would create a satellite-radio monopoly. He said, "We believe the elimination of competition between XM and Sirius is contrary to antitrust law and the interests of consumers. We urge that the FCC find the merger contrary to the public interest and exercise its authority to block it. We are particularly disturbed by this decision given the Justice Department's record in recent years of failing to oppose numerous mergers that reduced competition in key industries, resulting in the Justice Department not bringing a single contested merger case in nearly four years." 2) Sen Byron Dorgan (D-ND) called the Department of Justice decision to approve the merger "another disappointing example of this administration's blatant disregard for the public interest with regard to media ownership." He said "the American consumer will pay the price" if the merger ultimately eliminates competition in satellite radio. 3) House Telecommunications & Internet Subcommittee chairman Ed Markey (D-Mass.) said the Department of Justice's approval of the XM Satellite Radio-Sirius Satellite Radio merger without conditions was par for the course, but he told the Federal Communications Commission it should aim for more. “If the Federal Communications Commission, after completing its analysis and consideration of the proposed merger, decides to approve it, I urge the FCC to appropriately condition any such approval to ensure consumer welfare with respect to long-term service plans and pricing, as well as equipment compatibility and pricing,” he said.
* Kohl: FCC Should Block XM-Sirius Merger
* Dorgan: XM-Sirius Approval Shows 'Blatant Disregard' Of Public Interest
* Markey Tells FCC XM-Sirius Merger Needs Conditions
- Justice Approves XM-Sirius Merger
- Boucher Urges FCC to Approve XM-Sirius Merger
- Key senator urges rejection of XM-Sirius deal
- Senator urges FCC to block XM-Sirius deal
- Markey urges more conditions on XM-Sirius deal
- Lawmakers urge conditions on XM-Sirius deal
- Karmazin Says Sirius/XM Would Cap Price
- FCC Chair To Support XM-Sirius Merger
- FCC Chief: XM and Sirius Asking for 'Something Extraordinary'
- FCC approves Sirius-XM Satellite radio Deal
- XM-Sirius Deal Done?
- American Antitrust Institute to DOJ: Block XM-Sirius
- FCC Still Haggles Over XM-Sirius
- FCC Chief Martin open to more terms on XM-Sirius deal
- Tate's unease with XM-Sirius Satellite Radio Merger