Originally published: March 8, 2012
Last updated: March 8, 2012 - 9:50pm
[Commentary] When Rush Limbaugh called Georgetown law student Sandra Fluke a slut and a prostitute because she believes women should have access to affordable birth control, he crossed a line that also happens to be law.
The following was lifted directly from the Federal Communication Commission's website: “It is a violation of federal law to air obscene programming at any time. It is also a violation of federal law to air indecent programming or profane language during certain hours. Congress has given the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) the responsibility for administratively enforcing these laws. The FCC may revoke a station license, impose a monetary forfeiture or issue a warning if a station airs obscene, indecent or profane material.”
If Limbaugh had used the N-word rather than a gender slur directed at Ms. Fluke, no doubt he would have been taken from the air by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), his distributor, Premiere Radio Networks, and every station across the nation who carries his acrid spittle. Instead, he gets even more free publicity by objectifying and degrading Ms. Fluke and fellow female Americans everywhere. The time for the FCC to act swiftly was last week when it happened, but better late than a deregulated never.
- Limbaugh sees heat over comments turn down to a simmer
- The Rush to Boycott Rush is Dangerous
- Clear Channel’s Directors Give Big to Romney, Who Won’t Criticize Limbaugh
- FCC should clear Limbaugh from airwaves
- The Other Four Letter S-Word
- Limbaugh Advertisers Flee Show Amid Storm
- Obama’s Call Was a Lesson for His Girls
- A conundrum for conservative talk radio
- Obama Administration Says It Won't Ask For Rush Limbaugh To Be Pulled From Armed Forces Network
- After Apology, National Advertisers Are Still Shunning Limbaugh
- Chairman Walden: Limbaugh Comments Reprehensible, But Speech Should Still Be Free
- Rush Limbaugh: Jane Fonda wants him kicked off air. Should FCC listen?
- NOW president returns fire on Limbaugh
- The Status of Women in the U. S. Media 2013
- Rush Limbaugh's Batman Conspiracy: I Never Said Villain Was Created For 2012 Campaign