Originally published: April 24, 2012
Last updated: April 25, 2012 - 2:18pm
Sprint/Nextel, DirecTV, and public advocacy groups critical of the proposed sale of cable spectrum to Verizon have joined with the Communications Workers of America to ask the Federal Communications Commission to stop the clock on its merger review, citing software problems with opening some of the documents filed by Verizon and cable operators.
"The Commission has taken significant steps toward making its process transparent by allowing authorized personnel to review and analyze the documentation that it has required from the Applicants," they say in a letter to the commission dated April 24. "Now, considering the delays in receiving data and the technical challenges involved, the Commission should take the further step of giving reviewers the additional time that is necessary to study the documents and data and respond to the Commission with cogent analysis." They say that some files can't be opened with software "commonly used by law firms" while the charges the applicants are levying for, paper copies and electronic media make it hard for some organizations representing the public interest to review the documents.
- Verizon Competitors, Advocacy Groups Ask FCC to Stop Shot Clock on Verizon/Cable Spectrum Deal
- Verizon urges FCC to approve deal with cable companies
- FCC delays Verizon bid for spectrum from cable firms
- Justice Department Requires Changes to Verizon-Cable Company Transactions to Protect Consumers, Allows Procompetitive Spectrum Acquisitions to Go Forward
- Union asks FCC to delay decision on $3.6 Billion Verizon spectrum deal
- Antitrust chairman raises new questions about Verizon spectrum deal
- Cable Operators: No Reason to Stop Clock On Spectrum Deal
- FCC Won't Delay Restarting Clock on Verizon–SpectrumCo
- Verizon, Comcast Send Marketing Deals to FCC in Airwaves Review
- The Verizon/Cable Deals: Harmless Collaboration or a Threat to Competition and Consumers?
- CWA warns Verizon cable deal could end competition
- Critics Get Their Say on Verizon/Cable Spectrum Sale
- FCC Creates Docket for Verizon/Cable Spectrum Deal
- Verizon and cable companies promise to reformat documents to avoid derailing deal
- Recap -- The Verizon/Cable Deals: Harmless Collaboration or a Threat to Competition and Consumers?