Follow up on this event's outcomes through the related Headlines linked below to or skip to the event data.
This event has passed.
Broadband and Energy Efficiency
Wednesday, May 30, 2012
10:00 AM to 11:30 AM
Broadband Internet providers are reconsidering how they think about power consumption. Focusing on long-range energy efficiency will help ensure sustainable growth and contain costs as the price per kilowatt of power and consumer demand for broadband capacity both continue to grow. Broadband firms are approaching energy efficiency as a critical advance planning exercise, just as they prepared for the major switch in Internet addressing. Power consumption will become an up-front consideration in the planning and design phases for networks, services, and equipment.
On May 30, the Center for Technology Innovation at Brookings will host a forum on the future of energy efficiency and its relevance for the Internet ecosystem. A panel of experts will discuss the rationale for and implementation challenges to bringing efficient and reliable energy throughout the network and product-planning process, beginning at the design phase.
Introduction and Moderator
Darrell M. West
Vice President and Director, Governance Studies
Senior Vice President, Strategic Planning
Pietro S. Nivola
Senior Fellow, Governance Studies
General Manager, Eco-Technology
- Fostering Internet Competition
- How to Further the Mobile Technology Revolution
- How IT is Driving the Self-Service Economy
- A National Broadband Strategy Call to Action
- Telehealth and Mobile Communications
- Bridging the Digital Divide: Spectrum Policy, Program Diversity and Consumer Rights
- NARUC Annual Meeting
- Hacktivism, Vigilantism and Collective Action in a Digital Age
- Riding the Mobile Wave: The Future of Mobile Computing
- Public Diplomacy 2.0
- Broadband Technology Opportunities Program
- Mobile Entrepreneurship around the World
- Explaining International Mobile Payments Leadership
- Google and Partner Offer Home Energy Management Without Smart Meters
- The Race to Innovate