Originally published: May 23, 2012
Last updated: May 23, 2012 - 3:23pm
[Commentary] The Mayors Bistate Innovation Team (MBIT) in Kansas City released the beta version of their Google Fiber Playbook, full of recommendations on how the citizens and government of Kansas City, KS and Kansas City, MO can effectively leverage our gigabit network.
Our preliminary recommendations in the Playbook highlight the areas in our community where we think Google Fiber can make a real difference. Some of these recommendations include:
- Education: Outfit a handful of classrooms for demonstration projects that fully integrate high-speed fiber technology into daily lessons, equipping our students with the most innovative educational resources.
- Telehealth Pilots: Work with several hospitals and clinics to provide the technology to perform diagnostic services to people at home and at work, potentially increasing the quality of care for some patients while simultaneously reducing ER wait times and hospital readmissions.
- Testbeds for entrepreneurs: Build a technology incubator that invites entrepreneurs to gather in a fiber-rich environment and work together to enhance their current businesses and develop new apps.
- Global Roundtables: Conduct a series of global telepresence roundtables to establish Kansas City as an emerging global leader in the new digital economy and accelerate economic development and innovation.
- Enhance Convention Center technology: Make our convention center one of the most tech-friendly gathering places in the country.
- Develop a robust IT workforce: Work with and train Kansas Citians to become leading IT professionals throughout the US and the world.
[Daniels and Burk are the MBIT co-chairs]
- Entrepreneurs Dream of Jumping on Super-Fast Network
- Building 180 fiberhoods -- construction order and signups
- Ultra high-speed broadband is coming to Kansas City, Kansas
- Today, Kansas City. Tomorrow, Oklahoma City!
- Super fast fiber for Kansas City from Google
- ‘Give Us a Gig’ Helps Narrow Digital Divide in Gigabit City
- Google Fiber and Creating the Next Generation ISP
- Google Fiber’s Next Stop: Austin, Texas
- Kansas City, Missouri to get super-fast Google hook-ups, too
- Kansas City Gets Gigabit Speeds. What About the Rest of Us?
- Will Google’s Insanely-Fast Kansas City Network Shame U.S. ISPs?
- As Google gets ready to launch its gigabit network, Kansas City asks: Now what?
- Is Google asking the FCC to allow gigabit Wi-Fi for its gigabit network?
- Challenged by Google Fiber, ISPs opt to hasten their downfall
- Want Gigabit Internet? You Don’t Have to Move to Kansas City.