Follow up on this event's outcomes through the related Headlines linked below to or skip to the event data.
This event has passed.
Improving Spectrum Access Through Reverse Auction
Friday, June 15, 2012
Demand for mobile broadband will soon outpace the amount of available wireless spectrum. In its national broadband plan, the Federal Communication Commission called for 500 megahertz of new wireless spectrum, 300 megahertz of which, the FCC specified, should be freed up within the next five years. Despite government and industry recognition of the coming spectrum crisis, a number of the reforms needed to increase wireless broadband capacity remain unfinished and unaddressed. Reverse government auctions have been identified as the most expedient and cost-effective way to combat this imminent crisis, but what are the implementation and transactional challenges associated with this policy move? What are the merits of reverse auctions versus other spectrum policy ideas?
On June 15, the Center for Technology Innovation at Brookings will host a forum on broadening spectrum access in the United States through reverse government auctions. Moderated by Governance Studies Director Darrell West, a panel of experts will discuss the coming spectrum shortage and which policy levers should be used to alleviate it.
After the program, panelists will take audience questions.
- The Spectrum Crunch: Causes and Solutions
- FCC Launches Learn Everything About Reverse-Auctions Now Program
- A Broadband Pipe, or a $12 Billion Pipe Dream?
- Experts Debate Incentive Auctions at Brookings
- Workshop to Discuss 600 MHz Band Plan
- Brookings: Telecom and Transportation Should Be Focus of Infrastructure Investments
- FCC Confirms April 27 Agenda
- Confronting the Looming Shortage of Wireless Spectrum: A Federal Technology Policy Imperative
- Reshuffling the Deck: Repacking and “Incentive Auctions” in the TV Band
- Internet Governance and Regulation: What Should Be Government's Role?
- Enabling Personalized Medicine through Health Information Technology
- FCC’s September Agenda
- Health IT in an Era of Accountable Care: Update from the Beacon Communities
- FCC, NTIA Hold Biannual Spectrum Meeting
- Questions Aplenty on FCC Incentive Auction Framework