Originally published: July 18, 2012
Last updated: July 18, 2012 - 8:40pm
The Federal Communications Commission seeks comment on proposals to reform the FCC’s policies and procedures for assessing and collecting regulatory fees. This Notice of Proposed Rulemaking seeks comment on the issues related to how the FCC should allocate its regulatory costs among different segments of the communications industry.
In particular, we seek comment on:
- What the Overarching Goals of the Regulatory Fee Program Should Be. We propose three goals to guide our regulatory fee policymaking—fairness, administrability, and sustainability—and we seek comment on these goals and invite commenters to propose others.
- Regulatory Costs Should Be Allocated. Section 9 of the Communications Act requires that regulatory fees be derived by determining the number of full-time equivalent employees (FTEs) performing certain activities. We propose to change the way we allocate “direct” and “indirect” FTEs to calculate regulatory fees. The proposals on which we seek comment are based on aggregated bureau-level FTE data, and would allocate all FTEs in the Wireless Telecommunications, Media, Wireline Competition, and International Bureaus as “direct” and all FTEs in the support bureaus and offices as “indirect.”
- How Current Cost Allocation Percentages Should Be Revised. We then look at the cost allocation percentages that we use now and propose to update these percentages using current FTE data derived from the reallocation of FTEs described above. We set out the adjustments projected to result from these updates, examine the impact of these adjustments on the categories of fee payors, ask whether and how we should mitigate the impact of any substantial fee increases that would result, and ask whether any other changes are necessary to ensure an equitable result.
- Assessment and Collection of Regulatory Fees
- FCC Examines Fees Used to Fund Commission Budget
- Recap: FCC Process Reform Hearing
- FCC Proposes Changes to Media Ownership Rules
- Walden: FCC needs reform, accountability
- FCC to Collect $335+ Million in FY2011 Regulatory Fees
- Localism Proposals to Ensure Programming is Responsive to Needs of Local Communities
- FCC Reviewing Telecommunications Regulations
- FCC Seeks Additional Input in USF/ICC Reform
- Eligibility of Bundled Components Under the Schools and Libraries Program
- FCC Continues Wireless Backhaul Reform
- Remarks of Commissioner Ajit Pai, Before The Federal Communications Bar Association
- FCC bureau chief: USF reforms will provide 'stable' inter-carrier compensation system
- Improving Communications Services for Native Nations (NOI)
- FCC Seeks Comment on Terminating Some Proceedings