Commerce Department Names Board of Directors for the First Responder Network Authority
Originally published: August 20, 2012
Last updated: August 20, 2012 - 10:07pm
Acting U.S. Commerce Secretary Rebecca Blank appointed twelve of the nation’s leading experts on public safety and wireless broadband communications to serve on the Board of the First Responder Network Authority (FirstNet). They are:
- Tim Bryan, CEO, National Rural Telecommunications Cooperative
- Charles “Chuck” Dowd, Deputy Chief, New York City Police Department
- F. Craig Farrill, Wireless telecommunications executive
- Paul Fitzgerald, Sheriff, Story County, Iowa
- Samuel “Sam” Ginn, Telecommunications executive
- Jeffrey Johnson, Fire Chief (retired); former Chair, State Interoperability Council, State of Oregon; CEO, Western Fire Chiefs Association
- William Keever, Telecommunications executive (retired)
- Kevin McGinnis, Chief/CEO, North East Mobile Health Services
- Ed Reynolds, Telecommunications executive (retired)
- Susan Swenson, Telecommunications/technology executive
- Teri Takai, Government information technology expert; former CIO, states of Michigan and California
- Wellington Webb, Founder, Webb Group International; former Mayor, Denver, Colorado
Ginn will serve as the Chairman of the FirstNet Board.
FirstNet is congressionally mandated to establish a nationwide wireless broadband network that enables police, firefighters, emergency services personnel, and others in public safety to better communicate with one another during emergencies and use new technology to improve response time, keep communities safe, and save lives. The Middle Class Tax Relief and Job Creation Act of 2012, signed into law in February 2012, created FirstNet, an independent authority within Commerce’s National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA). Congress directed that FirstNet be run by a 15-person Board of Directors, with the Secretary of Homeland Security, the Attorney General, and the Director of the Office of Management and Budget named as permanent members of the Board. Congress charged the Secretary of Commerce with selecting the remaining 12 members.
- First Responder Network Authority Board Meeting (April '13)
- Recruitment of First Responder Network Authority Board of Directors
- First Responder Network Authority Board Meeting (Dec '12)
- First Responder Network Authority Board Meeting (October '13)
- First Responder Network Authority Board Meeting (August '13)
- First Responder Network Authority Board Meeting (updated with agenda)
- Testing by NTIA’s ITS Paves the Way for First Responder Broadband Interoperability
- How Could FirstNet Have Helped in the Boston Marathon Bombing?
- Wireless Devices for FirstNet Request for Information
- Notice of Inquiry on FirstNet Conceptual Network Architecture
- Technical Advisory Board For First Responder Interoperability Submits Report to FCC
- FirstNet shroud of secrecy raising public-safety vendors' ire
- Will FirstNet Move Forward With Local Broadband Projects?
- FirstNet Names GM
- FCC: FirstNet just needs to ask for 700 MHz public-safety spectrum