Originally published: February 25, 2013
Last updated: February 26, 2013 - 2:34pm
House Republicans were not big fans of the Obama Administration's broadband stimulus grants and loans, and a new Congress has not changed anything. That includes an ongoing investigation into overbuilding claims levied by Mediacom, according to committee staffers.
According to the majority staff memo for the Feb. 27 oversight hearing on broadband stimulus funding, the House Commerce Committee’s Oversight and Investigations Subcommittee is currently investigating allegations by Mediacom that the Lake County (MN) government is using $66 million to overbuild Mediacom, and was able to do so by submitting inaccurate information. A representative of the project was not available for comment at presstime. Of course, Republicans were critical in general of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA), but the House Communications Subcommittee leadership, which is holding an oversight hearing on the funding this week, was particularly focused on the chances for overbuilding, waste, fraud and abuse in the $7 billion program.
- Recap: Hearing on Broadband Loans and Grants
- House Communications Subcommittee Schedules Broadband Hearing
- House Commerce Committee Leaders Continue Examination of $7 Billion Broadband Stimulus Programs
- House Commerce Committee Seeks Documents on RUS Broadband Loan to Bankrupt Open Range
- Recap: Is the Broadband Stimulus Working?
- House Republicans Welcome IG Audit of EAGLE-Net, Request Additional Information on Controversial $100 Million Stimulus Grant
- Colorado Legislature Wants EAGLE-Net Info
- NCTA: Things Have to Change With RUS Implementation of Broadband Programs
- Hey RUS: What Happened to Loan Guarantees?
- White House CTO Pledge Report on Innovation, Investment (updated)
- House Holds Broadband Stimulus Oversight Hearing
- Broadband Loans and Grants
- Seifert, McGuire-Rivera to Head NTIA's Broadband Stimulus Programs
- RUS Broadband Program Criticized by USDA Inspector General
- BTOP-BIP Brouhaha