Last updated: August 17, 2008 - 8:23pm
[Commentary] John McCain's Internet is a strange and wondrous world, not like the Internet most people experience. It's a place not for innovation and creativity, but one to be controlled by the telephone and cable companies. McCain's view of the Internet is an Internet is largely infiltrated by pirates and filled with dangers that require government protections and enforcement. His policy is filled with contradictions and inconsistencies. That's not surprising, considering that he took a variety of policy positions on the crucial question whether his friends in the telecom business should have been given immunity for spying on Americans. At different times, he supported and questioned it, then skipped the crucial vote entirely. He was not alone in doing this, but it takes on added significance when combined with this policy plan. As we expected, it's the product of a team of advisors that gives lip service to consumers, but when the rubber meets the road, it's the corporations that get most of the goodies. Somewhat like the McCain campaign more generally, it also contains some internal contradictions that muddy the waters that make this look like the product of a group that was trying very hard to make some attempts to appear consumer-friendly, when it's mostly corporate-friendly.
- McCain's Tech Policy Would Be Like His Computer Skills -- Yikes!
- McCain Adviser/Former eBay CEO Meg Whitman Silent On Campaign's Opposition To Net Neutrality
- McCain Tech Policy Expected Next Week
- McCain Tech Plan to Continue Hands-Off Approach to Regulation
- McCain's Tech Policy Silent on his former pro-Internet Initiatives
- McCain's Denials Begin to Unravel
- McCain's Web Win
- Candidates' Differences on Media Outlined
- In Final Stretch, McCain to Pour Money Into TV Ads
- Obama vs. McCain on media policy 2008
- Where the presidential candidates stand on tech issues
- For McCain, A Switch On Telecom Immunity?
- What's John McCain's Technology Policy?
- Supporters lay out tech reasons to vote for Obama, McCain
- The Techie in Chief