Follow up on this event's outcomes through the related Headlines linked below to or skip to the event data.
This event has passed.
Telecom and Antitrust Task Force Hearing Tuesday
on Network Neutrality
What: Oversight Hearing entitled, â€œNetwork Neutrality: Innovation,
Competition and Nondiscriminatory Accessâ€
Who: Telecom and Antitrust Task Force â€“ Rep. F. James Sensenbrenner, Jr.
When: 2:00 p.m., Tuesday, April 25, 2006
Where: 2141 Rayburn Building
THIS HEARING IS EXPECTED TO EXPLORE...
. What is â€œnet neutrality?â€
. Does net neutrality promote innovation and competition?
. Can broadband service providers â€œcontrolâ€ access to the Internet?
. Have broadband providers engaged in illegal or discriminatory conduct in violation of net
. How have recent legal and regulatory developments affected competition for broadband
. How can broadband providers abuse their market power to limit access to Internet
content? Do they have an economic incentive to do so?
. How would access-tiering affect the competitive landscape of the telecommunications
market or the open architecture of the Internet?
. How does recent consolidation in the telecommunications marketplace affect broadband
. Can a network provider effectively manage network access or should a statutory
definition of network neutrality be adopted by Congress? What restrictions, if any,
should be placed on the network provider to ensure a competitive marketplace?
. What current authority exists to protect net neutrality?
. Would legislative proposals being considered by Congress promote or undermine net
. What is the role of antitrust in preventing Internet â€œdiscriminationâ€?
WITNESSES: Mr. Paul Misener, Vice President of Global Public Policy, Amazon.com; Mr. Earl W.
Comstock, President and CEO, COMPTEL; Mr. Walter B. McCormick, President and CEO, United
States Telecom Association; and Mr. Timothy Wu, Professor of Law, Columbia Law School.
- Hearing: Network Neutrality: Innovation, Competition and Nondiscriminatory Access
- Net Neutrality -- Spring Sweeps or Last Seasonâ€™s Rerun?
- Turf War Begins: Commerce Committee vs. Judiciary Committee
- Network Neutrality, Product Differentiation, and Social Welfare
- Congress Must Keep Broadband Competition Alive
- Net Losses
- Introduction of the Network Neutrality Act of 2006
- Senate Judiciary takes Interest in Telecom Bill
- Dueling Net Neutrality Op-Eds
- Debate heats up over Net neutrality
- COPE Day
- Groups warn Congress of dangers of COPE bill on the Internet
- A Net Neutrality Metaphor
- Antitrust Group Urges â€˜Meaningfulâ€™ Conditions on Bell Mergers
- Sensenbrenner Offers Neutrality Bill