Last updated: January 26, 2009 - 10:09pm
[Commentary] Have you listened to the right-wing media lately? In the weeks following the election, the debate over the issue of media bias, and of whether the press was overly kind to Barack Obama, has continued to swirl. Much less attention has been paid to another, more troubling aspect of the coverage, and that's the relentless and malevolent campaign that the right-wing media waged against the Democratic candidate. Few people who did not regularly tune in to the vast, churning combine of bellowing radio hosts, yapping bloggers, obnoxious Web sites, malicious columnists, and the slashingly partisan Fox News have any idea of just how vile and venomous were the attacks leveled at Obama. Day after day, week after week, these outlets worked determinedly to discredit and degrade Obama, accusing him of being a Muslim, a Marxist, a radical, a revolutionary, a socialist, a communist, a thug, a mobster, a racist, an agent of voter fraud, a black-power advocate, a madrasah graduate, an anti-Semite, an enemy of Israel, an associate of terrorists—even the Antichrist. Supplemented by a flood of viral e-mails, slanderous robocalls, and Internet-based smear campaigns, these media outlets worked to stoke firestorms of manufactured rage against Obama and the Democrats in what was perhaps the most concerted campaign of vilification ever directed at an American politician. In light of Obama's victory, one might be tempted to let it all pass. That would be a mistake. For the effects of that campaign remain with us. What's more, the campaign itself is still going on.
- Where Does the Right-Wing End and the Media Begin?
- What Romney's Right-Wing Media Revolt Reveals About The GOP
- Right-wing delusion: Network neutrality is government plot to control Internet content
- James O'Keefe And A Media Movement Gone Mad
- The Right-Wing Media’s Discipline Machine
- The Olbermann Suspension and Corporate Media
- Republicans make Twitter their own
- Romney: 'I'm fighting uphill battle' in media
- What would the Koch brothers do to the Los Angeles Times?
- Will the media start rooting for a Mitt Romney comeback?
- Many Say Coverage is Biased in Favor of Obama
- A Wrangle After Democrats Shun Fox as Debate Platform
- Top Fox News Executive Admits Lying On-Air About Candidate Obama
- Will the FCC Finally Act to Enforce the Rule of Law and Protect Our Public Airwaves?
- Fox News Wins the 2010 Election