Follow up on this event's outcomes through the related Headlines linked below to or skip to the event data.
This event has passed.
Pickering, Free Press and OIC to Discuss Broadband Stimulus Programs
Monday, March 9
2 p.m. ET/11 a.m. PT
The three federal agencies charged with overseeing $7.2 billion in broadband stimulus funds will hold a joint public meeting on Tuesday, March 10. Prior to that meeting, former Rep. Chip Pickering (R-Miss.) will join Free Press and the Open Internet Coalition on a national conference call to outline ways to implement model broadband programs that promote the public interest and guide future technology policy.
The American Reinvestment and Recovery Act, signed into law last month by President Barack Obama, allocates $4.7 billion to the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) for broadband adoption and deployment in "unserved," "underserved" and low-income communities; $2.5 billion to the Department of Agriculture's Rural Utilities Service (RUS) for rural broadband; and directs the Federal Communications Commission to develop a national broadband strategy.
The NTIA, FCC and RUS are expected to hold several public meetings as the agencies work to establish robust broadband grant programs. Monday's call will focus on the priorities, policies and procedures that should direct the grantmaking process.
Read Fress Press' Putting the Angels in the Details: A Roadmap for Broadband Stimulus Success: http://www.freepress.net/files/Angels_in_the_Details.pdf
Broadband meeting agenda: http://www.ntia.doc.gov/broadbandgrants/Agenda_090310.pdf
- NTIA Releases Notice; Announces Additional Public Meetings
- Northern Illinois American Recovery and Reinvestment Act Awardees Meeting
- Updated: ARRA Broadband Initiatives (March 23)
- Consumer groups, phone companies spar over US broadband stimulus
- Updated: ARRA Broadband Initiatives (March 24)
- Updated: ARRA Broadband Initiatives (March 19)
- Definition of Innovative Programs at Issue at NTIA Roundtable
- Navigate the $7.2 Billion Broadband Stimulus: A Compass For Stakeholders
- Broadband Stimulus National Town Hall Meeting
- Updated: ARRA Broadband Initiatives (March 16)
- Industry Reactions to NTIA/RUS Broadband Meeting Generally Positive
- Today's Agenda 03.19.09
- Let's Get to Work on the Purposes of the NTIA Broadband Grant Program
- Public Safety Interoperable Communications Grant Program
- Phone firms seek low bar for broadband grants