Originally published: April 29, 2009
Last updated: April 30, 2009 - 12:10pm
President Barack Obama has decided to name Mignon Clyburn as a commissioner to the Federal Communications Commission, the White House said on Wednesday.
Clyburn has been a member of the South Carolina Public Service Commission since 1998, involved in regulating the state's investor-owned public utilities, including telecommunications service providers.
From the White House press release:
Mignon L. Clyburn, Nominee for Commissioner, Federal Communications Commission
Mignon Clyburn has been a member of the Public Service Commission of South Carolina since 1998. The Public Service Commission regulates South Carolina's investor owned public utilities, including providers of telecommunications services. The South Carolina General Assembly elected Clyburn as a Commissioner representing the Sixth Congressional District in May of 1998, and she has been re-elected three times. She chaired the Commission from 2002 to 2004. Clyburn is a past chair of the Southeastern Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners. She is presently the chair of the Washington Action Committee of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC). Clyburn also serves on NARUC's Audit Committee and Utilities Market Access Partnership Board. Clyburn graduated from the University of South Carolina with a Bachelor of Science degree in Banking, Finance & Economics in 1984. Before her election to the Public Service Commission she spent fourteen years as the Publisher and General Manager of The Coastal Times, a weekly newspaper in Charleston, South Carolina.
- Getting to Know FCC Hopeful Clyburn
- Clyburn ties can help pave way to DC
- Meredith Attwell Baker Nominated for FCC Commissioner
- Obama or AT&T -- The Choice for Commissioner-Designate Clyburn as the Whitacre Era Ends
- MMTC Endorses Clyburn for FCC
- Wanted: A Broadcaster for the FCC
- Misunderestimating Mignon Clyburn
- Clyburn at FCC - Obama's Harriet Miers?
- South Carolina PSC’s Randy Mitchell Added to Federal-State Joint Board on Universal Service
- Genachowski Plays FCC Waiting Game
- GOP Nominees for FCC Appear Set
- President Obama nominates Mignon Clyburn to second FCC term
- New FCC Chair Continues Prison Phone Battle
- Senate Confirms FCC Nominees
- Commissioners Named to Serve on Three Key FCC Federal-State Advisory Panels