Originally published: August 17, 2009
Last updated: October 19, 2009 - 7:56pm
The Federal Communications Commission is gearing up for another full week of National Broadband Plan workshops.
On Tuesday the discussion begins with an overview of the international experience with broadband, highlighting select national broadband strategies, with a particular focus on the deployment of broadband infrastructure, increase in adoption, and successful regulatory approaches. The workshop will discuss whether and in which areas the United States is behind relative to other countries; and of these, which areas the United States is on a path to catch up as well as which areas the United States is likely to stay behind in the absence of a policy intervention. On Monday the FCC released a list of participants including Cisco's Robert Pepper; Robert Atkinson of the Information Technology and Innovation Foundation; and Tim Kelly, the Lead ICT Policy Specialist at the World Bank.
Tuesday's second workshop will focus on opportunities for disadvantaged businesses. The workshop will explore whether small and disadvantaged businesses (SDBs) are poised to take advantage of broadband technology and its antecedent benefits to help these businesses grow and reach new markets. It will explore whether communities where such small businesses reside are equipped with broadband, understand the value broadband brings to the business equation, and what, if any, role government, educational institutions and the private sector should undertake to assist SDBs to incorporate and harness the power of broadband. This workshop will divided into three panels covering: 1) Institutional and Governmental Views, 2) A View from Small and Disadvantage Business Broadband Entrepreneurs, and 3) A View from Traditional Old-Line Businesses in the Age of Broadband. Thomas A. Reed, Director of the FCC's Office of Communications Business Opportunities will guide the discussion.
Wednesday will see a long discussion on broadband adoption and use. This week's agenda ends with discussions on broadband potential and impact on people with disabilities and education on Thursday. The workshops are open to the public -- attend live or register to watch online.
- National Broadband Plan Workshop on Opportunities for Disadvantaged Businesses (see summary)
- National Broadband Plan Workshop on Opportunities for Individuals with Disabilities (see summary)
- FCC Seeks Comments on National Broadband Plan Workshops
- FCC Seeks Input on Small Businesses and the National Broadband Plan
- MMTC Proposes FCC Workshop on Civil Rights and Diversity Issues in Broadband Policy
- Broadband Opportunities for Disadvantaged Businesses
- FCC Workshop to Focus on Broadband Access for People with Disabilities
- FCC Broadband Field Hearing on Access for People with Disabilities
- FAQ on FCC's National Broadband Plan Workshops
- FCC Announces Topics to Focus Discussion at Workshops for National Broadband Plan
- National Broadband Plan Field Hearing on Disabilities
- FCC to Explore Capital Acquisition for Developing Entrepreneurs and for Small and Disadvantaged Businesses
- National Broadband Plan Workshop on International Lessons
- Broadband Plan Shaking Up Communications at FCC
- Don't Forget Small Disadvantaged Businesses, Minority Business Enterprises in National Broadband Plan