Originally published: September 9, 2009
Last updated: September 9, 2009 - 8:54pm
[Commentary] When Fox News' Glenn Beck called President Barack Obama a "racist" and claimed that he had "a deep-seated hatred for white people" an African-American netroots group, ColorOfChange.org, organized a successful boycott of Beck's corporate sponsors. It wasn't long until fifty seven of Beck's sponsors jumped ship lest they be associated with Beck's own "deep-seated" white supremacy. Burned, Beck and his right-wing Republican producers sought revenge by using his slice of the echo chamber to go after Van Jones, one of President Obama's most important advisers on green jobs, who could be linked to ColorOfChange. Beck and his buddies viewed Jones as the low hanging fruit of the Obama White House and launched a focused smear campaign against him. During one of his many conspiracy-laden tirades Beck asked: "Will progressive pigs fly right out of Van Jones' butt and pedal bicycles to" replace coal power? It didn't take much time under the glare of Beck's assault for Jones to make the politic move and resign his official post. The Beck vs. Jones saga illustrates that even with the Republicans out of power their control over a propaganda ministry called Fox News, combined with their domination of the AM radio dial, still allows them to frame the debates within our wider political discourse.
- Free Press Calls on Obama Administration to Resist Extremism in the Media
- Glenn Beck = MSM
- Will Genachowski Help Obama Find A Heart, Brain and Courage To Face Glenn Beck?
- Boycotting Beck on Fox "News" -- an issue of credibility
- The Fading Power of Beck’s Alarms
- The Beck Factor at Fox: Staffers say comments taint their work
- White House vs. FOX News: Olympics
- Who's watching Glenn Beck?
- Establishment Media Outlets Missed Van Jones Story
- The war on Beck
- Bancroft member moves to block sale of Dow Jones
- Glenn Beck's Gold Deal Raising Questions at Fox
- Glenn Beck is 2009 Misinformer of the Year
- Glenn Beck's war on the FCC
- When Glenn Beck googles 'Google' he doesn't like the results