Last updated: November 19, 2009 - 9:44am
President Barack Obama announced his intent to nominate the following individuals to the Broadcasting Board of Governors: Victor H. Ashe, Dennis Mulhaupt, Dana Perino, and S. Enders Wimbush.
The BBG encompasses all U.S. civilian international broadcasting, including the Voice of America (VOA), Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty (RFE/RL), Radio Free Asia (RFA), Radio and TV Martí, and the Middle East Broadcasting Networks (MBN)—Radio Sawa and Alhurra Television.
1) Ashe recently served as United States Ambassador to Poland from June 2004 to October 2009. He also previously served as a Tennessee State Representative and was the longest serving Mayor of Knoxville, Tennessee. Mr. Ashe has served as President of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, was twice appointed to the Intergovernmental Advisory Committee and is a former member of the Americorps Board of Directors.
2) Mulhaupt is founder and managing director of Commonwealth Partners, Inc., providing advisory services to philanthropic institutions and families. He previously served as Executive Vice President at KCET in Los Angeles, a west-coast flagship public broadcasting and media company. Earlier in his career, he was Vice President at Claremont McKenna College.
3) Perino is the Chief Issues Counselor for the United States at Burson-Marsteller and is a Fox News Contributor. She is the former White House Press Secretary to President George W. Bush - the first Republican woman to hold that position.
4) Wimbush is the Senior Vice President for International Programs and Policy at the Hudson Institute. He previously worked in the private sector with Booz Allen Hamilton and Science Applications International Corporation, and served as director of Radio Liberty in Munich. Mr. Wimbush founded and directed the Society for Central Asian Studies in Oxford, England, through which he created the international journal Central Asian Survey. Mr. Wimbush also served as a Senior Analyst for the Rand Corporation.
- Eight Appointed to the Broadcasting Board of Governors
- Dana Perino To Leave The Broadcasting Board Of Governors
- President Bush's Broadcasting Board Nominees
- Broadcasting Board of Governors Nominations Withdrawn
- Broadcasting Board Of Governors (June 2012)
- International Broadcasting and Public Media
- NPR Rebuffs White House On Bush Talk
- Armstrong Nominated for Broadcasting Board of Governors
- President Nominates NBCU International Chief Jeff Shell to Head BBG (updated)
- Technology complicates White House communications
- Crocker for Broadcasting Board of Governors
- NAB Board Election Results Announced
- Radio Free of Bureaucracy
- Tampa Pubcaster Nominated for International Broadcasting Bureau
- Presiding Governor Lynton Steps Down From The BBG Board