Originally published: January 19, 2010
Last updated: January 19, 2010 - 2:50pm
[Commentary] It's time for another look at Comcast's proposed takeover of NBC-Universal -- maybe these crazy kids deserve each other.
Let NBCU and Comcast get together and watch the whole thing go up in flames so big it will make AOL Time Warner look like a little campfire. In fact, if Comcast was smart, it might be rethinking the whole deal about now.
If the Obama Administration approves this deal, it could well lose its last bit of street cred with the Democratic wing of the Democratic party, which is already angry about deals cut with the pharmaceutical industry, Wall Street bailouts and other items. Allowing the largest media conglomeration in history would be seen as fitting right in with the special-interest culture of Washington. It's this history that give one some comfort that even if the Justice Department sanctions this merger, it would do so knowing the deal will be the source of a million more jokes for years to come.
- Comcast-NBC 'Negative' If It Pares Access to Programs (updated)
- Lots of smoke but likely to be few flames in D.C. for Comcast-NBC
- Washington Post Endorses Comcast-NBC: Ironically Proves Dangers of Mega-Merger
- Justice Department to Study Comcast Takeover of NBC
- Reaction to Comcast-NBC Announcement
- Comcast-NBC Deal Hurts Jobs, Investment and Prices, Union Says
- FCC Seeks Comment on Comcast- NBCUniversal Access to Online Video Distributors’ Peer Programming Deals
- Concerns About Comcast-NBC
- Put people first in Comcast-NBC merger
- Comcast NBC Deal Review Quickens
- Byron Allen Weighs In On Comcast-NBCU
- Merger plans for Comcast, NBC ignite battle over television access
- FTC and Department of Justice will duke it out to see who gets to review Comcast-NBC
- Approval Talks Delay Comcast-NBC Deal
- The Comcast/NBC Universal Merger: What Does the Future Hold for Competition and Consumers?