Originally published: February 26, 2010
Last updated: February 26, 2010 - 4:06pm
The National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA) has rejected a plea from Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV) to extend a deadline for broadband stimulus applications.
The NTIA said late Thursday that its March 15 deadline for second-round applications stands firm. By law, the administration must award all of the money by Sept. 30 and cannot risk more delays, NTIA said. Earlier this week, Sen Reid joined public interest groups and other lawmakers in asking NTIA to extend its deadline. In a letter, Sen Reid said he was "concerned that the application deadline for the second and final round of rural broadband funding ... does not provide applicants sufficient time to improve their applications for resubmission." "Many applicants have only recently received feedback on their first-round application, and many more are still awaiting notification," he said. "The result is a narrow window for reapplication that can be difficult to accommodate." An extension of the deadline, Reid said, "will help ensure all second-round applicants have a reasonable time to prepare the best application for a competitive program." Potential applicants have also expressed frustration with the short time frame.
- Department of Commerce Inspector General Report to Congress
- Recovery Act Funds Sit Still
- NTIA Must Continue to Improve its Program Management and Pre-Award Process for its Broadband Grants Program
- Extension Granted for Round 2 Broadband Stimulus Applications
- RUS Extends Deadline for Public Notice Requests on Pending Round Two BIP Applications
- For those about to submit...
- NTIA Posts Comments on Round 2 BTOP Applications
- Further Opportunities Exist to Strengthen Oversight of Broadband Stimulus Programs
- Demand Still Strong for Second Round of Broadband Stimulus Funding
- Local Authorities Urge Full Broadband Stimulus Funding
- Inside the Broadband Stimulus Workshops
- NTIA Announces Reopening of BTOP Application Window
- BTOP Grant for North Central New Mexico Economic Development District
- Second round stimulus applicants include Motorola, Echostar, and XO Communications
- Second Broadband Stimulus Funding Window Opens