Originally published: March 5, 2010
Last updated: March 5, 2010 - 4:24pm
Howard Schmidt, the new cybersecurity czar for the Obama administration, has a short answer for the drumbeat of rhetoric claiming the United States is caught up in a cyberwar that it is losing. "There is no cyberwar," Schmidt told Wired.com in a sit-down interview Wednesday at the RSA Security Conference in San Francisco.
"I think that is a terrible metaphor and I think that is a terrible concept," Schmidt said. "There are no winners in that environment." Instead, Schmidt said the government needs to focus its cybersecurity efforts to fight online crime and espionage. His stance contradicts Michael McConnell, the former director of national intelligence who made headlines last week when he testified to Congress that the country was already in the midst of a cyberwar — and was losing it.
- Divisions Seen In Administration Over Cyberthreats
- A call for critical thinking about securing our electric grid
- Cyber czar: Threat protection is a shared responsibility
- With cyber czar in place, lawmakers continue legislative push
- Cyber czar: Networks in the U.S. are riddled with vulnerabilities
- Latest Hacks Could Set The Stage For Cyberwar
- Cuba Accuses USA of Planning Text Message CyberWar
- New cybersecurity coordinator 'has president's ear'
- Former Cybersecurity Czar Urges Obama to Issue Executive Order to Protect Networks
- Cyber czar: Power companies need to watch their backs
- Cybercrime Needs to be Top Priority, Says Obama Aide
- US cybercrime head wary to fault countries
- What Is Cyberwar?
- Google CEO on Obama tech czar job: No thanks
- Administration says it will give industry and academia heads up on cyberattacks