Follow up on this event's outcomes through the related Headlines linked below to or skip to the event data.
This event has passed.
Colloquium on Public Safety aspects of the National Broadband Plan
Federal Communications Commission
Wednesday, March 31, 2010
9:30 a.m.-11:30 a.m.
Note date and time change
As part of the colloquium, representatives from the Public Safety and Homeland Security Bureau will make presentations discussing how the Plan addresses the following issues:
- Deployment of a nationwide interoperable public safety wireless broadband network;
- Innovation in the development and deployment of Next Generation 911 networks and emergency alerting systems; and
- Cyber security and critical infrastructure survivability.
The goal of the Public Safety and Homeland Security portion of the Plan is to enable and enhance the use of broadband technologies by first responders in sending and receiving content-rich data, resulting in saved lives; diminished injuries; improved emergency care and response; and more effective prevention of acts of crime, terror and hatred. Such technologies will also guard critical infrastructure, and enable interoperable response to emergencies in coordination with other first responders located throughout the nation. Broadband technologies will ensure that all Americans are able to reach and access 9-1-1 services quickly, reliably, and that the public has the ability to send and receive critical information regardless of the mode or device used. These technologies and innovations will also advance the modes and methods by which the public receives accurate, concise, and timely alerts and warnings. The Public Safety and Homeland Security portion of the Plan will also enhance the security and resiliency of broadband infrastructure, including measures to prevent and assist in the response to cyber attacks.
The colloquium will be open to the public; admittance, however, will be limited to the seating available. Those individuals who are interested in attending this event may pre-register on-line at http://www.fcc.gov/pshs/event-registration.html. Those who pre-register will be asked to provide their name, title, organization affiliation, and contact information. Individuals may also contact Deandrea Wilson at Deandrea.Wilson@fcc.gov or via phone at 202-418-0703 regarding pre-registration. The deadline for pre-registration is Wednesday, March 24, 2010.
For additional information about the meeting, please contact Susan McLean at (202) 418-7868 or by email: Susan.McLean@fcc.gov
- Technical Panel on 700 MHz Nationwide Interoperable Public Safety Wireless Broadband Network
- NIST's Role in Improving Public Safety Communications
- POSTPONED: FCC Forum to Address Emergency Response Interoperability Center
- Workshop on Critical Infrastructure and Information Collection
- Workshop on Cybersecurity Roadmap (updated w/agenda)
- 21st Century Emergency Alerting
- 4.9 GHz Band: Spectrum Dedicated to Public Safety for Broadband Use (w/agenda)
- FCC Interoperability Forum (updated with agenda)
- How the Internet Can Benefit Older Americans
- Earthquake Communications Preparedness Forum
- Contraband Cell Phones in Prisons (updated w/agenda)
- FCC Announces Protocol for Emergency Response Interoperability Forum
- The Making of a Robust, Next Generation Emergency Information Highway
- The National Purposes in the National Broadband Plan One Year Later
- Summit on 911 and Enhanced 911 Services