Originally published: April 22, 2010
Last updated: April 22, 2010 - 3:45pm
Noted linguist Noam Chomsky has been hearing some shocking things from America's shock jocks — and their audience.
"I listen to talk radio," Chomsky said. "I don't want to hear Rush Limbaugh. I want to hear the people calling in. They are like [suicide pilot] Joe Stack. What is happening to me? I have done all the right things. I am a God-fearing Christian. I work hard for my family. I have a gun. I believe in the values of the country and my life is collapsing."
In case you think Chomsky's ire is limited to conservatives, however, think again! "Chomsky reserves his fiercest venom for the liberal elite in the press, the universities and the political system," notes ex-New York Times reporter Chris Hedges, "Who serve as a smoke screen for the cruelty of unchecked capitalism and imperial war. He exposes their moral and intellectual posturing as a fraud. And this is why Chomsky is hated, and perhaps feared, more among liberal elites than among the right wing he also excoriates."
"I don't bother writing about Fox News," Chomsky says. "It is too easy. What I talk about are the liberal intellectuals, the ones who portray themselves and perceive themselves as challenging power, as courageous, as standing up for truth and justice. They are basically the guardians of the faith. They set the limits. They tell us how far we can go. They say, 'Look how courageous I am.' But do not go one millimeter beyond that. At least for the educated sectors, they are the most dangerous in supporting power."
- Israel Roiled After Chomsky Barred From West Bank
- How to End the Reign of Shock Jocks
- CBS settles with fired shock jock Don Imus
- Media Change We Can Believe In
- Limbaugh is talk host king, not leader of GOP
- Radio finds new life on cellphones
- Savage accused Rep. Hinchey of being "in cahoots with Al Qaeda"
- XM Satellite suspends shock jocks Opie & Anthony
- Obama Should Bring Back the Fairness Doctrine
- Glenn Beck is 2009 Misinformer of the Year
- The Wizard of Beck
- Radio industry gets a bad signal
- FCC Public Hearing on Media Ownership In Nashville 12/11
- House Gets First Crack At XM-Sirius Proposal
- TV group urges "America's Got Talent" ad boycott