Originally published: April 22, 2010
Last updated: November 29, 2010 - 11:39am
President Barack Obama will nominate Mary Minow to serve on the National Museum Library Services Board.
The advisory body includes the director and deputy directors of IMLS and twenty presidentially appointed and Senate-confirmed members of the general public who have demonstrated expertise in, or commitment to, library or museum services. Informed by its collectively vast experience and knowledge, the NMLSB advises the IMLS director on general policy and practices, and on selections for the National Medals for Museum and Library Service.
Minow is an attorney, consultant, and a former librarian and library trustee. She has made presentations and consulted for libraries and library associations in over 25 states on free speech, privacy, and copyright issues. She manages the Stanford Copyright and Fair Use website, and founded the LibraryLaw blog. Minow teaches digital copyright as an adjunct at the San Jose State School of Library Science and at the Simmons Graduate School of Library and Information Science. She serves on the board of the Electronic Privacy Information Center and she chairs the Intellectual Freedom Committee of the California Library Association. She is past chair of the Cupertino Library Commission and past president of the California Association of Library Trustees and Commissioners. She is coauthor with Tomas Lipinski of The Library's Legal Answer Book. Minow earned her Bachelor of Arts degree from Brown University, her master of library science degree from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, and her law degree from Stanford University.
- Obama Art, Humanities, Library Nominees
- National Museum and Library Services Board
- National Museum and Library Services Board Nominees Include Charles Benton
- The roles of libraries and museums in early learning
- Five Museums and Five Libraries to Receive Nation's Highest Honor
- More Nominations for National Museum and Library Services Board
- Three Named to National Museum and Library Services Board
- White House Appoints President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities Leaders
- President Obama to Nominate former GOP Congressman Jim Leach as Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities
- Mayfield Nominated for National Council on the Arts
- New Nominees for CPB Board
- 111th Congress Fails to Enact Significant Cybersecurity Reform
- Obama to name Mignon Clyburn as FCC commissioner (Updated)
- Collins details plan for cybersecurity director
- Subra Suresh Nominated for National Science Foundation Post