Follow up on this event's outcomes through the related Headlines linked below to or skip to the event data.
This event has passed.
Federal Communications Commission:
Toothless Regulator or Cop on the Beat?
New America Foundation
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
Does the FCC have the authority to enforce its Network Neutrality principles? Or to refashion the Universal Service Fund to promote broadband adoption? Or to protect consumer privacy and promote competition?
The D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals threw a huge legal roadblock in the path of the FCC's National Broadband Plan - and President Obama's promise to preserve a non-discriminatory, open Internet - with its ruling this month that the Commission lacks the authority to prevent cable giant Comcast from blocking certain peer-to-peer applications.
Consumer groups and many companies argue that the FCC should reclassify Internet access as a common carrier telecom service - and regulate it lightly but as needed. Internet Service Providers and free market advocates argue the FCC cannot and should not justify regulation under traditional common carrier principles and authority.
Vice President-Federal Regulatory Affairs
Vice President, Law & Regulation
Senior Fellow and Director
Center for Communications & Competition
Progress & Freedom Foundation
Director, Wireless Future Program
New America Foundation
To RSVP for the event:
For questions, contact Stephanie Gunter at (202) 596-3367 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For media inquiries, contact Kate Brown at (202) 596-3365 or email@example.com.
- Can the FCC Convert Satellite Spectrum into Wireless Competition?
- Broadband Changed My life
- Getting Schooled by a Third Grader
- Broadband Policy Summit VI
- Who Should Govern the Internet?
- What Can the U.S. Learn From New Zealand's Broadband Plan?
- Technological Opportunities, Job Creation and Economic Growth
- The Innovation Bands: Freeing up Spectrum for America's Wireless Future
- Bringing Back Rural America
- More Than a Broadband Map
- The On-Going Debate Over the Sunshine Act
- The Dangers of Network Neutrality Regulation
- Bridging the Digital Divide - Is Community Wireless the Answer?
- From Deployment to Employment: Broadband Challenges and Opportunities Surrounding Implementation of the Stimulus Package
- The Telehealth Promise: Better Health Care and Cost Savings for the 21st Century