Originally published: July 10, 2010
Last updated: July 10, 2010 - 3:45pm
President Barack Obama has appointed eight media, communications, and foreign policy leaders to serve on the Broadcasting Board of Governors, the federal agency which supervises all U.S. civilian, international broadcasting. The new governors include:
- Walter Isaacson is President of the Aspen Institute and serves as chair of the board of Teach for America. He is the former Chairman and CEO of CNN and former editor of Time Magazine. Mr. Isaacson is the author of Einstein: His Life and Universe and Benjamin Franklin: An American Life, and the co-author of The Wise Men. In the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina, he was appointed vice-chairman of the Louisiana Recovery Authority. Mr. Isaacson is a graduate of Harvard College and Pembroke College of Oxford University.
- Victor H. Ashe recently served as United States Ambassador to Poland from June 2004 to October 2009. He also previously served as a Tennessee State Senator and State Representative. Mr. Ashe was the longest serving Mayor of Knoxville, Tennessee, was the President of the U.S. Conference of Mayors from 1994 to 1995, and received the Distinguished Service Award for Leadership from the Mayor's Conference in 2003. He is a former member of the Americorps Board of Directors and currently sits on the Board of the National Trust for Historic Preservation and the American Rivers Association. Mr. Ashe is a graduate of Yale University and the University of Tennessee's College of Law in 1974.
- Michael Lynton is the Chairman and CEO of Sony Pictures Entertainment. He is the former CEO of AOL Europe and Chairman and CEO of Pearson plc's Penguin Group. Mr. Lynton is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations and serves on the boards of the Los Angeles County Museum of Art and the Rand Corporation. He is a graduate of Harvard College and Harvard Business School and is proficient in French, German and Dutch.
- Susan McCue is President of Message Global, a strategic advocacy firm she founded in 2008 for social action campaigns. She was the founding President and CEO of The ONE Campaign to combat extreme global poverty and was Chief of Staff to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid from 1999 to 2006. Before that she held numerous communications positions in government and campaigns. She is currently Vice Chair of Humanity United and a member of the Council on Foreign Relations. A New Jersey native, Ms. McCue is a graduate of Rutgers University in New Brunswick, N.J., with degrees in economics and journalism.
- Michael P. Meehan currently serves as President of Blue Line Strategic Communications, Inc. and as Senior Vice President at Virilion, a digital media company. He also served as the first President of BGR Public Relations, LLC. For over two decades, Meehan served in senior roles for U.S. Senators John Kerry, Barbara Boxer, Maria Cantwell and former Senate Majority Leader Tom Daschle, two presidential campaigns, two U.S. House offices and congressional campaigns in 25 states. Mr. Meehan earned a B.A. in political science from Bates College.
- Dennis Mulhaupt is founder and managing director of Commonwealth Partners, Inc., providing advisory services to philanthropic institutions and families. He previously served as Executive Vice President at KCET in Los Angeles, a west-coast flagship public broadcasting and media company. Earlier in his career, he was Vice President at Claremont McKenna College; Vice President for Medical External Relations at Stanford University; and Senior Associate Dean in the College of Letters, Arts & Sciences at the University of Southern California. Mr. Mulhaupt received his B.A. from the University of Southern California and an M.Phil. in international relations and criminology from Cambridge University.
- Dana Perino is the founder of Dana Perino and Company, a strategic communications firm, a member of the Burson-Marsteller Global Strategy Team, and a Fox News Contributor. She is the former White House Press Secretary to President George W. Bush. She is the creator of Minute Mentoring, a program helping young women entering the workforce, and a member of the ONE Campaign's Women's Advisory Board, Mother's Day Every Day, Running Start, and Pets2Vets. Ms. Perino served in the U.S. Justice Department, was Director of Communications for the White House Council on Environmental Quality, and worked for Representatives Dan Schaefer (R-CO) and Scott McInnis (R-CO). She holds a M.A. in Public Affairs Reporting from the University of Illinois - Springfield and a B.A. in Mass Communications from Colorado State University - Pueblo.
- S. Enders Wimbush is Senior Vice President at the Hudson Institute. From 1987-93, he served as Director of Radio Liberty in Munich, Germany. Mr. Wimbush has worked for Booz Allen Hamilton, Science Applications International Corporation, and the Rand Corporation as a consultant, strategist and analyst of international security issues, and for Runzheimer International as director of communications. Earlier Mr. Wimbush directed the Society for Central Asian Studies in Oxford, England. In addition to dozens of policy studies, Mr. Wimbush is the author or editor of seven books. Mr. Wimbush studied for a PhD at the University of Chicago, where he received his A.M. from the Committee on International Relations. He holds a B.A. in History from the University of Massachusetts at Boston.
- President Obama Picks 4, including Perino, for Broadcasting Board of Governors
- International Broadcasting and Public Media
- BBG Chairman Isaacson Outlines Vision for International Broadcasting
- Crocker for Broadcasting Board of Governors
- Dana Perino To Leave The Broadcasting Board Of Governors
- Nominations for Broadcasting Board of Governors
- Isaacson Nominated to Chair Broadcasting Board of Governors
- Broadcasting Board of Governors Nomination and Withdrawal
- Patricia Cahill Elected Board Chair and Elizabeth Sembler Elected Vice Chair of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
- Armstrong Nominated for Broadcasting Board of Governors
- President Bush's Broadcasting Board Nominees
- New Leadership for President's National Security Telecommunications Advisory Committee
- FCC Announces Senior Staff for Development of National Broadband Plan
- Ernest Wilson III Elected Chair of the Corporation for Public Broadcasting
- White House Appoints President's Committee on the Arts and Humanities Leaders