Originally published: October 20, 2010
Last updated: October 20, 2010 - 3:43pm
Media Matters, the liberal activist group that wages a rhetorical war against Fox News Channel and others in the conservative press, announced the receipt of a $1 million donation from the philanthropist George Soros. The organization plans to use the money to intensify its efforts to hold the Fox host Glenn Beck and others on the cable news channel accountable for their reporting.
"Fox has transformed itself into a 24-7 GOP attack machine, dividing Americans through fear-mongering and falsehoods and undermining the legitimacy of our government for partisan political ends," said Media Matters. Soros, a billionaire who has a history of supporting liberal politicians and causes, accused Fox News hosts of "incendiary rhetoric" and said he hoped that his money would be used "in an effort to more widely publicize the challenge Fox News poses to civil and informed discourse in our democracy."
- NPR vs. Fox News: Juan Williams firing reveals deeper media fight
- When Glenn Beck googles 'Google' he doesn't like the results
- Fox News takes on Media Matters
- Media Matters boot camp readies liberal policy wonks for the camera’s close-up
- Media execs, companies gave more than $350,000 to conservative super PACs
- IRS Moves to Tax Gifts to Groups Active in Politics
- Health Bill Was a Focus for Liberal Talk Show Hosts
- Krugman Trashes Fox News: 'Deliberate Misinformation'
- The Beck Factor at Fox: Staffers say comments taint their work
- Crowing at Fox News
- What Beck, Dobbs and Limbaugh Are Really Afraid Of
- Roger’s Reality Show
- Glenn Beck to End Daily Fox News Program
- Hate Radio and the War on Immigration
- My Embed in Red