Originally published: October 23, 2010
Last updated: October 23, 2010 - 3:16pm
[Commentary] If political consultant Donna Brazile were in charge, she'd make a few changes:
1. Bring back the Fairness Doctrine, which required holders of broadcast licenses to present controversial issues of public importance in an honest, equitable, and balanced fashion.
2. Eliminate pundits from TV. I know -- this sounds weird coming from me, a political commentator, but I've seen the way pundits erode intelligent discussion of issues until all that remains is a he said, she said fight between hired guns of the Right and Left. Remove punditry and you'd bring back civility.
- Bills Would Block FCC on Fairness Doctrine
- The unfairness of a Fairness Doctrine
- Rep Nadler: Fairness doctrine needed 'as long as it's the people's airwaves'
- FCC Tries to Hush Rush
- Right-wing radio sounds false alarm on 'Fairness Doctrine'
- FCC to eliminate 83 outdated media regulations
- Sen Alexander blasts Fairness Doctrine, charges Dems with trying to revive it
- Obama Should Bring Back the Fairness Doctrine
- Boehner Voices Concern Over Eshoo's Fairness Doctrine Comments
- Democrats Balk At Return Of Fairness Doctrine
- President Says He Would Veto Fairness-Doctrine Imposition
- Fairness Doctrine Returns to Front Burner
- Religious Broadcasters Fear Fairness Doctrine Return
- Senate Rejects Second Attempt To Ban Fairness Doctrine
- FCC's Chessen: Fairness Doctrine talk is 'conspiratorial'