MacArthur Foundation Announces Winners of Award for Creative and Effective Nonprofits
Last updated: January 19, 2011 - 12:27pm
Continuing its tradition of encouraging creativity and building effective institutions to help address some of the world's most challenging problems, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation announced today that 11 organizations in six countries will receive the MacArthur Award for Creative and Effective Institutions.
The Awards recognize exceptional Foundation grantees and help ensure their sustainability with grants of $350,000 to $1 million each, a large sum given that recipients' annual operating budgets are under $5 million. The organizations' missions are diverse – from protecting biodiversity in Bhutan to fighting poverty in the U.S., from analyzing how tax policy impacts people to improving maternal and child health among India's impoverished. Still, they have much in common. All are highly creative and effective organizations that have made a remarkable impact in their fields, driving significant change on modest budgets. Groups will use their awards for a range of purposes, including purchasing office space, upgrading technology, and constructing a library and conference space.
- National Competition Selects 12 Libraries and Museums to Build Innovative Learning Labs for Teens
- New Grants Help Museums and Libraries Connect Youth with Friends, Learning, and Mentors to Link their Passions to Future Success
- Global Competition Selects 19 Innovative Digital Media & Learning Projects to Share $2 Million
- Transforming Learning in the Digital Age
- MacArthur "genius awards" 2009
- 23 New MacArthur Fellows Announced
- Meet the 2011 MacArthur Fellows
- 10 Innovative Digital Media & Learning Projects to Share $1.7 Million
- 25 Receive $500,000 'Genius' Fellowships
- MacArthur and IMLS Announce Plans to Create 30 New Learning Labs at Libraries and Museums Across the Country
- $2 Million Digital Media & Learning Competition Focuses on Participatory Learning
- Woodward Wickham
- Surprise Grants Transforming 23 More Lives
- Symposium: What Price Media Consolidation?
- MacArthur Grant Funds Digital Overhaul For PBS' Frontline