Originally published: March 16, 2011
Last updated: March 16, 2011 - 3:27pm
On March 3, 2011, the Commission adopted and released a Second Report and Order, First Order on Reconsideration, and Second Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking in the Matter of Policies to Promote Rural Radio Service and to Streamline Allotment and Assignment Procedures. The Rural Radio Second FNPRM was released March 3, 2011. In the Second Further Notice of Proposed Rule Making ("Second FNPRM"), the Commission sought comment on certain procedures to be utilized by federally recognized Native American Tribes and Alaska Native Villages ("Tribes") seeking commercial FM radio facilities.
The Commission proposed the use of threshold qualifications to determine eligibility to compete for FM allotments added to the FM Table of Allotments using the Tribal Priority established by the Commission in the First Report and Order in this proceeding. The Commission also seeks comment on any issues surrounding the use of such a threshold qualifications procedure, including whether non-Tribal applicants should be allowed to bid on such allotments absent Tribal interest. In the Second FNPRM, the Commission also sought further comment on the desirability and feasibility of Tribal auction bidding credits, and requested comment on the financial disadvantages, if any, facing Tribes seeking commercial facilities at auction.
Comments must be submitted no later than Friday, April 15, 2011. Reply Comments must be submitted no later than Monday, May 16, 2011.
- Expanding Broadband and Other Communications Services in Native Nations
- Full Agenda for FCC's March Meeting
- Improving Communications Services for Native Nations (NOI)
- FCC Waives Sunshine Rules to Meet with Native Nations Leaders
- FCC Open Meeting (March 2011)
- Improving Communications Services for Native Nations by Promoting Greater Utilization of Spectrum over Tribal Lands
- Order to Streamline FM Table of Allotments and AM Community of License Procedures
- FCC Promotes Native American Radio
- Pole Attachments, Data Roaming Headline FCC's April Agenda
- Indian Telecommunications Initiatives Workshop and Roundtable (Digital TV)
- FCC's June 9 Agenda
- Spectrum Needs of U.S. Tribal Communities
- FCC Open Meeting (April 2011)
- FCC Seeks Comment on Request for Additional Funding for Rural Health Project
- Indian Telecommunications Initiatives Regional Workshop and Roundtable