Originally published: March 26, 2011
Last updated: March 26, 2011 - 6:43pm
Federal Communications Commission Chairman Julius Genachowski spoke at the Aspen IDEA Project in Brussels, Belgium on March 24 about the benefits of cloud computing.
Information is a form of capital, he said. As barriers to accessing funding prevent entrepreneurs, wherever they are, from starting the next great cloud computing company, barriers to accessing information prevent innovators, wherever they are, from growing cloud computing companies, improving productivity, growing GDP, and creating new industries, jobs, and opportunity. How do we begin to address these barriers? One way is to identify the inputs that make communications networks with freely flowing information possible.
- Robust backbone and middle-mile networks that can handle heavy data backhaul loads;
- Last-mile broadband-wired or wireless-that reaches every citizen;
- Spectrum for mobile broadband, so people can access the cloud wherever they are;
- Interconnection among networks; and
- Public policies that don't inhibit-and indeed facilitate-data flows across international borders.
But he identified five challenges faced worldwide in the provision of each of those inputs: a global broadband availability gap, a global broadband adoption gap, a looming global spectrum crunch, a privacy and security gap, and a regulatory gap.
- Gates: NATO cybersecurity policies are 'inadequate'
- Lifted By the Cloud
- Study: Cloud Services Could Save Feds Billions
- Congress' piece of the cloud: Supporting open standards, flexible acquisition
- NIST Helps to Accelerate Federal Government Adoption of Cloud Computing
- Evaluating the Cloud Computing Act of 2011
- Software Execs plugging into Congress, Agencies During Annual Strategy Summit
- Cloud computing: Legal standards up in the air
- FCC’s Genachowski Names Gary Epstein Senior Advisor
- Toward a Single, Global Digital Economy: The First Report of the Aspen Institute IDEA Project
- Brussels to soften data protection rules
- Broadband: A Driving Force for American Job Creation and Economic Growth
- Cloud Shoot-out and Cybersecurity Summit
- Europe Takes Up Debate on Universal Internet Access
- Music In The Cloud: What's In Store For Consumers?