Originally published: May 1, 2011
Last updated: May 1, 2011 - 10:43am
[Commentary] After revealing his "long form" birth certificate, President Barack Obama scolded the news media for letting this non-issue become a national obsession. But if President Obama really wants to restore reporting to its rightful role, he needs to act on commitments he made immediately after his inauguration.
For more than two years, GOP extremists have made the president's birth certificate an issue that has successfully permeated the country's consciousness. According to a New York Times-CBS News poll last week, 43% of the country is not sure Barack Obama was not born in this country, despite long standing factual evidence to the contrary. How did GOP extremists manage to make a non issue such a huge issue? They used the power of broadcasting to beat the drums of paranoia into 50 million people across our land. They used the power of talk radio, which they have used to successfully marginalize Democrats and anyone else outside their narrow point of view. It is critical to understand that we the people own the airwaves. Broadcasters, (local TV and Radio stations) own a lot of fancy equipment which allows them to broadcast over OUR air. They made a business deal with us that they get to broadcast over our air ONLY if they serve the public interest.
- 1.1 million tweets sent during inauguration
- The Economic Crisis Returns with a Vengeance
- Genachowski: New Media Man with Old Media Roots
- Bloggers Focus on Palin's "One Nation" Tour
- TV archives predicted to boost broadcasters' revenues
- Congress unprepared for Jan 20 emergency
- NCTA Says Now is No Time to Change Low-Cost Waivers for Set-Tops
- Minority Tax Certificates Poised for Return?
- ABC News, Bluefin Labs Extend Social TV Analytics Partnership Through Presidential Election
- Obama's Inauguration Watched By 29.2% Of Households In Top 56 Markets
- CEA Reassures FCC Over Battery Powered DTV Boxes
- FCC disappoints on media, Internet policies
- Law Professors: Food Marketing Guidelines Do Not Violate First Amendments
- Network News at a Crossroads
- Obama-Biden Transition names Agency Review Teams