Last updated: February 21, 2008 - 9:09am
BE CONCERNED ABOUT RUPERT MURDOCH
[SOURCE: Seattle Times 9/18, AUTHOR: Gene Kimmelman, Consumers Union]
[Commentary] Most likely you have watched, listened to or read something today from one of Rupert Murdoch's many media outlets. Murdoch owns Fox Broadcasting Company and 35 local TV stations, 16 cable channels (including Fox News Channel), as well as MySpace and HarperCollins publishing. Murdoch's media holdings are inescapable. And they just got bigger. With Murdoch's acquisition of Dow Jones, he will now own a No. 1 TV network, the most successful cable-news channel, two major TV stations in large markets like New York, Los Angeles and Chicago, and single stations in eight mid- to large-sized markets — along with The Wall Street Journal. The Journal adds to Murdoch's empire the nation's most successful financial newspaper, second only to USA Today in circulation. Should we be concerned? You bet. And it's not simply because it's Rupert Murdoch — any single media owner with this much control should concern us. Television and newspapers are our main source of news and information and one person owning so many different sources of our news and information is dangerous to our democracy.
* Dow Jones Sale Update
[SOURCE: Bloomberg & Reuters]
News Corp. said its $5.2 billion acquisition of Dow Jones & Co., a deal that will give Rupert Murdoch control of the Wall Street Journal, probably will close in about two months. News Corp says it expects to save $100 million after the acquisition and might scrap the fee for reading the Wall Street Journal's Web site.
* News Corp. Says Dow Jones Sale to Close in Two Months
* News Corp. Plans to Save $100 Million From Dow Jones
* Murdoch makes case for free WSJ online
* Murdoch's Choice: Paid or Free for WSJ.com?
- Dow Jones Falls on Concern Bancrofts Will Reject Bid
- News Corp. Makes a Bid for Dow Jones/Wall Street Journal
- Dow Jones Board Reaches Deal With Murdoch
- Mr. Murdoch and The Journal
- Bancrofts Warm to Murdoch's Offer
- News Corp. May 'Walk Away' From Dow Jones, Pali Says
- Dow Jones and Murdoch Said to Move Close to Deal
- Once Again, Murdochâ€™s Siren Song
- Murdoch Frustrated About Dow Jones Talks
- The Murdoch Street Journal
- Fox News and the Associated Press: What’s next?
- What if Murdoch Doesn't Get Dow Jones?
- Bancroft member moves to block sale of Dow Jones
- Blair, Murdoch Spoke Three Times In Run-Up To Iraq War
- Murdoch seeks full control of BSkyB, but meets resistance