Who Are the Gigabit Internet Subscribers? Study Released by FTTH Council Explores Existing Gigabit to the Home
Originally published: April 18, 2012
Last updated: April 19, 2012 - 10:17pm
Early adopters of gigabit fiber optic service are online for three times the daily average of Internet users and tend to have relatively complex home networks supporting five or more devices, according to a study released by the Fiber-to-the-Home Council Americas.
The report, provided to the Council by Telecom Thinktank and RVA LLC, offers a glimpse into the small but growing community of gigabit Internet users who are receiving their service from one of more than a dozen telecoms that now offer the service in locations throughout the world. Gigabit subscribers were surveyed to determine their motivation and utilization of the ultra-high speed broadband access.
Telecom Thinktank and RVA found that the current crop of gigabit subscribers are:
- Online an average of 8 hours per day, compared with the U.S. Internet user average of 2.5 hours per day.
- The "earliest of early adopters," with relatively complex home networks consisting of five or more network devices. In the U.S., 12 percent of gigabit users had 10 or more networked devices in their homes.
- Content creators, as Hong Kong Broadband's traffic measurements show its gigabit subscribers using three times the upload bandwidth when compared to their download use. Upload speed is critical for distributing HD photos and videos, efficient "cloud computing" and virtual presence video conferencing.
- FTTH Council Releases New Stats, Says Stimulus Projects 38% Complete
- Small Telecom Providers Lead Continued Expansion of All-Fiber Networks
- Bandwidth envy
- Fiber now in 5.3 million North American homes
- Better Business Bureau Refers Comcast 'Fiber-Optic' Claim To FTC
- Gotta get a gig: KC startups are buying homes to get Google Fiber
- Fiber Subscribers Are Happiest With Broadband, TV: Survey
- Gigabit Networks: Maybe They’re Not So Crazy After All
- Seattle’s planned fiber network: The gigabit is in the details
- RUS Revises Rules on Fiber Optic Cable
- Look Out Google Fiber, $35-A-Month Gigabit Internet Comes to Vermont
- Say what? Google’s gigabit network won’t deliver a gig?
- Will Fiber be Part of the Stimulus package?
- How many people have a gigabit connection? Fewer than you think.
- Want 50Mbps Internet in your town? Threaten to roll out your own