Last updated: June 21, 2012 - 8:27am
Top House Commerce Committee Democrats have renewed their call for a hearing into the Verizon-SpectrumCo wireless spectrum sale.
The Federal Communications Commission and Department of Justice are currently vetting Verizon's proposed $3.9 billion purchase of spectrum from Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox and Bright House. According to a copy of the letter, ranking Commerce Committee member Henry Waxman (D-CA) and Communications Subcommittee ranking member Anna Eshoo (D-CA) pointed out to their respective chairs that it has been almost two months since they wrote the first time asking for a hearing on the deal and joint marketing agreements. "We believe it is important that members of the Communications and Technology Subcommittee have an opportunity to hear from key stakeholders." They have not taken a position on the deal, but said in that first letter that it was important to hear testimony and consider the policy implications of the transaction, which Verizon says will free up unused spectrum for the benefit of consumers and critics say will increase concentration and decrease competition among cable and wireless companies.
- Verizon’s wireless, marketing deal with cable firms to be considered at Senate hearing
- Background on Oversight of the Federal Communications Commission Hearing (updated)
- T-Mobile defends Verizon spectrum swap as way to enhance LTE network
- Reps Waxman and Eshoo Call for Hearing on Spectrum Transactions
- FCC Seeks More Data from Verizon, Cable Companies
- The Verizon/Cable Deals: Harmless Collaboration or a Threat to Competition and Consumers?
- Three FCC Votes In for Verizon/SpectrumCo
- House Democrats Urge Scrutiny of Verizon-Cable Deals
- Does Political “Kabuki Theater” Help or Hurt the Regulatory Review Process?
- Competition Worries Snag Verizon Deal on Airwaves
- Union asks FCC to delay decision on $3.6 Billion Verizon spectrum deal
- Unions swarm Congress in push against Verizon-cable deals
- Cable Operators: No Reason to Stop Clock On Spectrum Deal
- Sources: Votes Are In, and Its 5-0 for Verizon/SpectrumCo
- Sen Rockefeller To FCC, Justice On SpectrumCo: Keep Close Eye on Marketing Agreements