Originally published: July 29, 2011
Last updated: July 29, 2011 - 4:47pm
This week, I led a meeting in the Roosevelt Room at the White House with leaders of a host of rural organizations to discuss the White House Rural Council. The White House Rural Council, which was established by President Obama on June 9, 2011, will build on this Administration’s unprecedented efforts to spur job creation and economic growth in rural America.
Along with Jon Carson, the Director of the Office of Public Engagement and Doug McKalip of the White House Domestic Policy Council, we discussed the Council’s efforts to improve coordination among federal agencies. We focused in on ways to help better leverage existing federal resources in rural America – and on how to facilitate private-public partnerships that can move the needle in building stronger rural communities.
The meeting was a chance for me to listen to our rural partners on the issues that need to be addressed and discuss potential solutions. Some of the key issues raised included the need to coordinate more with our federal partners on health care, broadband, and other critical infrastructure; how to increase the availability of capital and lending to rural businesses and families; efforts to remove barriers to young and beginning farmers; and strategies for establishing better partnerships with states, tribes, local governments and the private sector. Many of the leaders gathered also expressed appreciation for the renewed focus on rural America and the importance the White House has placed on these issues.
- Collaborating with Tribes through the White House Rural Council
- Obama Administration Establishes White House Rural Council to Strengthen Rural Communities
- Commerce Department, NIST Host Standards Setting Forum
- Collaborating on Public Safety Broadband
- Roundtable Informs Wireless Innovation for Transportation
- Taking the Pulse on Health IT Exports
- Roundtable on Securing Networks through Open Innovation
- Jobs and Economic Security for Rural America
- White House Event Amps Up Grid Modernization Efforts
- National Advisory Council on Innovation and Entrepreneurship
- Secretary of Agriculture Discusses Rural Broadband With FCC Chairman
- Vice President Biden Meets with Groups to Discuss Violence Prevention
- White House holds private town hall meeting on health IT progress
- Sec Vilsack Testifies Before House Appropriations Committee
- White House moves on cybersecurity