Unite Private Networks to Connect 65 Iowa Communities With Fiber Optic Connections
Originally published: September 27, 2011
Last updated: September 27, 2011 - 9:05pm
Unite Private Networks announced a long-term business relationship with the Iowa Communications Network (ICN) to help increase broadband access to communities in Iowa by enhancing a state-wide fiber-optic network.
UPN will connect at least 65 Iowa communities with fiber-optic infrastructure. The connections will enhance high-speed Internet access to over 170 end-user facilities located throughout the state. With the speed and reliability of fiber-optics, Iowans will see educational enhancements, improved technology opportunities, and increased economic development. The opportunity for UPN was made possible through Iowa Communications Network's (ICN) federal broadband grant received in July 2010 through the Broadband Technology Opportunities Program (BTOP). The project will enhance the ICN Network to a ten (10) Gbps (gigabytes per second) backbone that will reach all 99 counties in Iowa. The middle-mile network advancement will also provide one (1) Gbps of symmetrical Ethernet connectivity to education facilities, hospitals, libraries, public safety, workforce development, and other Community Anchor Institutions throughout the state. With ICN's overall project, almost 1,000 installations over the course of a two-year period will impact 450 new sites, over 560 direct locations, and indirectly enhance 3,081 locations.
- Colorado launches $130 million broadband project
- Installation begins on broadband network across central Maryland
- BTOP Grant for Allegiance Communications in Four State Region
- Broadband Bringing Middle America Back from the Brink
- BTOP Case Study Five: Bill Callahan, Connect Your Community Project Director, OneCommunity
- BTOP Case Study Three: Mark Shlanta, CEO, SDN Communications
- Illinois broadband project rejects first round of bids
- West Virginia broadband effort narrowed
- Commerce Department Invests $80 Million in Louisiana Broadband
- Washington Addressing Digital Divide With New Fiber Network
- Is Prince George's becoming a ‘high-tech hotspot'?
- Wisconsin giving back stimulus funds intended for broadband expansion
- Vice President Announces an Initial $183 Million in Awards to Expand Broadband Access in Seventeen States
- North Carolina broadband initiative kicks off new, $104 million phase
- Commerce Awards Recovery Act Broadband Expansion Grants Totaling More than $20 Million for Virginia