Last updated: April 25, 2012 - 8:30am
The long-running tabloid newspaper scandal that has shaken Rupert Murdoch’s global media empire delivered a new jolt as its powerful and lucrative television operations moved to the center of a British judicial inquiry with disclosures that a senior cabinet minister, or at least an aide claiming to speak for him, worked covertly to help win approval for a $12 billion takeover of the BSkyB network.
A trove of newly released e-mails pointed to hand-in-glove collaboration between a lobbyist for Mr. Murdoch’s News Corporation and the office of Culture Minister Jeremy Hunt, the official designated to pass judgment on the BSkyB bid. That deal, which would have crowned Mr. Murdoch’s 60-year media career, was scuttled last year as the scandal over illicit phone hacking exploded, and now appears out of his reach for years, if not permanently. Mr. Murdoch’s son James testified at the inquiry for five hours on April 24, and Mr. Murdoch himself was to take the stand on April 25 for what was forecast, given the new uproar, to be an intense grilling. Mr. Murdoch has been in London since April 26, conferring with a coterie of advisers, lawyers and communications consultants behind closed doors.
- E-Mail Shows Murdoch Bid Maneuvering
- British Minister Concedes Sympathy to Murdoch TV Bid
- Tough Questions for Cameron on Ties to Murdoch
- At British Inquiry, Cameron Denies ‘Deals’ With Murdoch
- BSkyB Board Is Said to Keep James Murdoch as Chairman
- OFCOM escalates probe into BSkyB
- Murdoch discuss BSkyB bid with PM
- Challenge to Murdoch grip on BSkyB
- Will News Corp’s UK Problem Become Its US Problem?
- Rupert Murdoch testifies, says phone hacking is 'lazy' journalism
- Labour Party Vows to Fight Murdoch’s Bid to Take Over Satellite Company
- Antiwar Protester Disrupts Inquiry as Blair Testifies
- News Corp doubles buyback to $10 billion
- BSkyB Bid Referred to UK Competition Commission
- UK parliament aims to publish hacking report on May 1